What is Osteoporosis? Osteoporosis is a disorder in bones. Bone is a living tissue that is in a constant state of regeneration. The body removes old bone (called bone resorption) and replaces it with new bone (bone formation). Till the late 20’s the formation will be...
Tips To Keep Your Knees Healthy And Strong
Knees are the largest joints of your body. Ironically, it also the joint which starts wearing out the first. But it’s not very odd if you think about it – your knees carry almost all of our body weight when you are walking, or standing, or running, or jumping, or basically, doing anything when on your feet.
So, if you have a weak knee, imagine how hugely it will impact your daily life. No walking or even difficulty in walking can make your life very stagnant.
These days, a majority of the population is adapting to a fast food diet and a desk job, making obesity dominate over a major portion of the metropolitan mass. A higher upper body weight is exerting higher pressure on your knees making them weaker even sooner.
This is why, it is crucial now that we consciously put some effort to know how to keep knees healthy and work on them effectively.
Here are a few tips on how to keep knees healthy.
- Diet: First things first, keep your weight in check. Have a healthy diet. It saves you from a lot of health trouble. Putting an extra effort for it, despite your busy lifestyle, is worth it.
- But for knees or joints in particular, calcium-rich food like low-fat milk, beans, lentils, almond etc. can be very beneficial. Fatty fish is a good source of Omega 3 and green leafy vegetables hold good amount of vitamins. They are both good for your knees. Try and avoid fermented food like curd, beer, etc., aerated drinks, foods that contain trans fat, etc.
- Exercise: The tip for how to keep knees healthy would be to know the balance of exercises. Don’t freeze your knees in front of your computer and don’t obsess over gyming. To keep your knees healthy, talk to an expert to know which exercises for knees are suitable for you and how long you should perform them.
- Water: Knees are guarded by cartilages. Cartilages can be made of up to 80% of water. When you are dehydrated, the cartilages become brittle. Weak cartilages cannot make good guards to your knees. So, stay hydrated, always! Now you know how to keep knees healthy.
- Posture: Posture is very important when it comes to the knees. With the wrong posture, you can hurt your knees even when you are sitting (and probably thinking that you are relaxing your knees). Especially in a country like India, where the common practise is to sit with you calves tucked below your thighs or where you squat in your toilet, knees are undoubtedly overstressed. Keep your knees relaxed when you are sitting or lying down.
- Safety measures: Abiding by the safety measure is a crucial tip for how to keep knees healthy. Even one injury in the knee can have drastic impacts on your life.
– If you are an athlete or a sportsperson, abide by you safety measures.
– Wear healthy, comfortable footwear.
– Avoid walking through a rough road continuously.
– Climb but don’t bounce up and down the stairs.
– Never exercise through pain.
- Supplements: As you get older, so will your knees. After 30 years of age, it’s best to consult a doctor to know if you need any supplements to keep your knees strong. Calcium pills and Omega 3 supplements can keep your knee strong for an extended amount of time.
- Doctor: Unless injured externally, knee degrades very slowly. The pain also grows very gradually. This is why sometimes a person learns to live with the pain. But it is very harmful for the knee. Even a ligament tear might not show symptoms immediately. Hence, it is highly advisable that you consult a doctor if you experience any pain or discomfort or any other oddity around your knees.
Reading about how to keep knees healthy one day and following the tips for a week or two, when you feel some pain in your knees will not help. Keeping knees healthy (or staying healthy overall, for that matter) is not something which you can force on yourself. It has to come from within and be a part of your lifestyle. This is the only way you can stay healthy physically without stressing yourself out or hurting your mental health.
About The Hospital:
Dr. Chakri’s Clinic is the Best Orthopaedic clinic in Hyderabad, India. Dr. Reddy is an expert orthopaedician. He has treated thousands of patients through medicines and surgeries. The clinic is equipped with the most advanced orthopaedic tools and machineries.